The sixth-ranked Salisbury University football team overpowered the SUNY-Maritime Privateers, 83-0 in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Championship Tournament.
Final Score: No. 6 Salisbury 83, SUNY-Maritime 0
Records: Salisbury (10-0) | SUNY-Maritime (5-6)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got the ball and drove down the field in seven plays, capped off by a Jack Lanham four-yard touchdown run.
- Two plays into Maritime's first drive, Patrick Bernardo forced a Christian Schiavone fumble which was recovered by Joseph Manso at the 18-yard line.
- A play later, Chad Gleason took a toss play into the end zone for an 18-yard touchdown run.
- On the first play of Maritime's second drive, Hezekiah Williamson fumbled a handoff and it was recovered by Harold Kwigova on the 19-yard line.
- Three plays later, Shamar Gray went around the edge for the touchdown from two yards out.
- After a three-and-out, Lanham threw down the field to Hunter Cleaver for a 38-yard reception on a seam to put Salisbury inside the Maritime red zone.
- Three plays later, Mike-Ryan Mofor scored on a three-yard run.
- The Salisbury defense forced another three-and-out to force a punt. Chad Gleason took Joseph Gagliardi's punt 50 yards for a touchdown.
- On Salisbury's next drive, Lanham took a quarterback keeper 18 yards for Salisbury's sixth touchdown of the quarter and put the Sea Gulls up 42-0 at the end of the first quarter.
- Mofor tallied his second touchdown of the game on a 42-yard dive play on Salisbury's first drive of the quarter.
- A play after a Lanham pass to Michael Fowler for 27 yards put Salisbury on the Maritime 12-yard line, Gray notched his second touchdown of the game on a 12-yard run.
- Salisbury used their strong running game on their final drive of the first half on a 64-yard drive which was ended by a Lanham eight-yard touchdown run to give Salisbury the 63-0 lead at the half.
- A 35-yard punt return by Troy Garrett put Salisbury on the Maritime 19-yard line. Two plays later, Jack Navitsky scored on a nine-yard run.
- A 12-play, 84-yard drive that spanned 7:30 was bookended by a Damien King 16-yard touchdown run.
- Salisbury scored their final touchdown of the day on a Joey Bildstein one-yard run to give Salisbury the 83-0 lead over Maritime with 5:43 left in the game.
- Salisbury tallied 583 yards of total offense. The Sea Gulls notched 518 rushing yards and scored all 11 of their 12 touchdowns on the ground.
- The Salisbury defense held Maritime to 71 yards of total offense, including 24 rushing yards. Maritime recorded two first downs and only crossed into Salisbury territory once.
- Mike-Ryan Mofor carried the ball nine times for 103 yards and two touchdowns.
- Jack Lanham notched three touchdowns on six carries and 47 yards. Lanham was 2-for-3 for 65 yards through the air.
- Damien King registered 65 yards on five totes and a touchdown.
- Michael Fowler and Chad Gleason each carried the ball four times. Fowler totaled 64 yards on the ground while Gleason tallied 60 rushing yards and a touchdown. Gleason also added a 50-yard punt return for a touchdown.
- Shamar Gray crossed the goal line twice while Joey Bildstein and Jack Navitsky each scored a touchdown.
- Patrick Bernardo and Casey Counts each made seven stops and broke up a pass. Bernardo also forced a fumble while Counts added a sack.
- Sam Pagella recorded six tackles.
- Noah Zentz collected two tackles for loss and totaled three tackles in the game.
- Jamere Furbush tallied four tackles.
- Bert Schrecongost was 11-of-12 for point-after attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury's 83-point victory is the largest margin of victory in the history of the Division III playoffs.
- Salisbury was a point away from tying the record for most points scored in the Division III playoffs set by St. Johns (Minn.) during last year's tournament.
- Salisbury hosts the No. 14/13 Union Dutchmen in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 30.
- Game time is tentatively scheduled for noon at Sea Gull Stadium,
- Live links will be available later in the week.